Editor in Chief (head of content)
Lawnstarter is a marketplace that makes lawn care easy for homeowners while helping small businesses succeed. We've raised millions in venture funding, are growing fast, and are looking for an Editor in Chief to help accelerate that growth.
One might say that LawnStarter is in an industry that's as boring as watching grass grow (see what we did there?), but that makes creating content even more fun and challenging.
As covered in Inc Magazine, we've come up with a creative take on content marketing that has played an integral part in our growth. Sure, we produce how-to guides and the like, but our secret sauce lies in coming up with awesome data visualizations, studies, and lists that resonate with journalists, get written about, and earn traction on social media.
Here are a few of our greatest hits:
- The Top 12 U.S. Cities for Observing World Naked Gardening Day: As goofy as this is, this article was picked up by over 120 news outlets including the Weather Channel. The folks at the Weather Channel said it was their favorite story of the year.
- On a Roll: Austin Metro Area’s Population Surpasses 2 Million: We broke news of this population milestone. Every local news outlet followed suit.
- Turf Battle in the NFL: Natural vs. Artificial: This one gets tens of thousands of page views every football season.
- 7 Exterior Home Improvements That Can Increase Resale Value: An infographic with loads of shares and reposts from the likes of Rismedia.
- Where are the new residents of Denver, CO moving from?: Nearly every news outlet in Denver picked this one up just ahead of our launch into the Mile High City.
- Coming up with new topic ideas that resonate with the public while staying on brand
- Creating and managing an editorial calendar
- Hiring and managing a team of in-house writers to produce said content
- Producing content on your own
- Pitching content to journalists
- Occasionally writing and pitching press releases
- Working with the broader marketing team to ensure all content is driving business results
As with everyone who joins LawnStarter, you'll be making an impact on Day 1. Additionally, this is a brand new role, so you'll have the chance to create something from the ground up.
Writing skills: This should go without saying. If you don't absolutely love writing, this job ain't for you. AP style preferred.
Editing skills: You're the type that catches grammatical errors in everything you read. You give feedback to writers to help them improve.
Ability to produce content that gets LINKS: You understand the value of links, and how to create content that earns them.
Creativity: Coming up with ideas for articles comes easy to you, even in the lawn care vertical.
Data literacy: You're comfortable pulling data from the likes of the US Census Bureau, and transforming it into a story.
Willingness to contribute individually: We're an early stage company, and this job will not just be managing. You'll be expected to your sleeves and get your hands dirty from time to time.
Not required, but be sure to mention if you have the following:
Journalism Experience: We love thinking about things from a journalist's perspective.
PR Experience: Pitching and politely persisting.
Opportunity for equity ownership
Health, Vision and Dental Insurance